Pizza was forbidden. Competing in Figure competition for the first two years, I only had pizza once or twice during the off season. Usually the very first cheat meal after my last competition of the year and my very last cheat meal before I started my prep for the next season. My old self, when I was 40 pounds overweight, used to eat pizza most every Friday. It was taken for granted and I missed it dearly when I went months and months without it. Reasons for omitting pizza include that with the crust and cheese plus poor quality, high fat, processed meat toppings you are getting very little nutrition in a dish that is mostly carb and fats and very low protein…even on a meat lovers or supreme.
Pizza, in one study was linked to the obesity epidemic! http://www.latimes.com/science/sciencenow/la-sci-sn-pizza-calories-children-20150116-story.html
Then one day I stumbled upon the protein crust pizza at Bodybuilding.com by Anna Sward Of Proteinpow.com. https://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/protein-pizza-crust.html
I have used this pizza crust many times when I have a taste for pizza. I have used it to make homemade pizza for my family and company alike with rave reviews. The healthiest low calorie toppings are going to be peppers or mushrooms. For the sauce, look for the very least salt and sugar. I have used Rao’s pizza sauce or a simple low sodium tomato paste. Both are good options.
For my “on point” favorite topping that gets your full serving of protein without any junk food added is my lean turkey Italian sausage. This is a simple ground 99% fat free turkey with homemade Italian Sausage seasonings without any salts or sugars.
Samantha’s Lean Ground Turkey Italian Sausage
- 1 pound of 99% fat free Turkey
- 1 teaspoon (tsp)dried parsley
- ½ tsp onion powder
- ½ tsp garlic powder
- ¼ tsp ground or whole fennel seed
- ¼ tsp dried basil
- ¼ tsp dried oregano
- ¼ tsp dried thyme
- Dash of crushed red pepper flakes, to taste
- Dash of freshly cracked black pepper, to taste
Cook the ground turkey in a non-stick skillet, add seasoning ingredients, and using your spatula, break it apart into tiny pieces while it cooks. It is done when it is no longer pink.
The crust recipe:
Thin Protein Pizza Recipe
1/2 cup Liquid egg whites
1 Tbsp (10g) unflavored Pea protein powder (I use “Now” Brand)
1/4 cup Unflavored whey protein powder (Bob’s Red Mill brand works great)
3/8 cup Gluten-free rolled oats (Quaker Old Fashion ground or Bob’s oat flour)
1 tsp Herbamare or salt and pepper. (Hint: I’ve used 1/3 tsp ground thyme and garlic powder. That’s my favorite)
1.Using a handheld blender or food processor, blend all the ingredients together until
you get a thick pancake-like batter.
2. Heat a nonstick pan, and add a quick light spray oil.
3. Add 1/2 of the batter to the pan, spreading it on the surface of the pan thinly with a
spatula or tilting the pan.
4. This cooks like a pancake. Once the bottom of the crust has cooked, flip it.
5. Remove the crust from the pan on to a pizza stone or cookie sheet and add your toppings. Begin with tomato paste, and then add your choice of topping. Like 1-1/2 oz. of the lean ground turkey sausage. Finish by topping with a 1/2 oz serving of part skim or fat free mozzarella cheese.
6. Place the crust with all of your toppings under the grill or oven broiler for 5-10 minutes or until the cheese has melted and the pizza looks done.
Serving size: 1
Recipe yield: 2 (You will have extra turkey for omelettes, salads, more pizzas, or to freeze for later.)
Fat 4.6 g
Carbs 14.1 g (2 g fiber)
Protein 39.4 g
Here is one of mine renditions. I use the crust recipe, the 99% lean seasoned turkey, mushrooms, peppers, sliced banana peppers and just a sprinkle of mozzarella.